From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Verification of audio CD copy?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:21:48
1 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, June 3, 2009 22:23, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 > > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
7 > > BTW: this is where you see that cdparranoia(1) is now 12 year old and
8 > > unmaintained since ~ 10 years. cdda2wav -paranoia gives much better
9 > > results that cdparanoia.
10 >
11 > Pardon me for getting in the middle but I am really curious about
12 > this. I know that paranoia is old but according to their web
13 > page the last update was "September 11, 2008". However maybe it
14 > was just a maintenance update to fix compilation errors or something
15 > like that.
16
17 Correct, there was a mainenance update but cdparanoia is still based on
18 a cdda2wav source from 1997.
19
20 > I have researched about cdda2wav vs. cdparanoia vs. cdrdao in the past
21 > and came to the conclussion that cdparanioa is probably the worst
22 > nowadays, however I am not sure it's dead.
23
24 cdrdao did not et new features since 4 years and it did not get even
25 a maintenance update since 3 years.
26
27 cdparanoia is a "patch" on a cdd2wav source from 1997 and there was a lot
28 of activities 'till March 2001 with cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8
29 since then no new features have been introduced and as the project
30 did look completely dead, I decided to take the relevent code,
31 make a real portable library from it and use it from cdda2wav.
32 This port was done in spring 2002.
33
34 A year ago, there have been some minor code changes and lot's
35 of new comment in the main paranoia code. The new comment
36 has been moved to libparanoia for cddawav....
37
38 Jörg
41 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
42 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)