From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hotpluggable SATA question...
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:53:26
1 On Friday 21 April 2006 15:46, "Sieb, Glenn E (Glenn)" <sieb@××××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] Hotpluggable SATA question...':
3 > In Gentoo they show as being SCSI, fine, no problem with that.
4
5 That's the same across all linuxes.
6
7 > If I hotplug a drive into the chassis--it powers up, but Gentoo doesn't
8 > see it until reboot.
9
10 That because it's using the SCSI subsystem in linux. That subsystem was
11 never designed to handle hotpluging. After you add a device to the
12 system, you have to 'echo "scsi add-single-device <controller> <bus/chain>
13 <target/id> <lun>" > /proc/scsi/scsi'. It is left as an exercise for the
14 reader to detemine the correct values for the 4 variables.
15
16 > Has anyone else used hotpluggable SATA drives in Gentoo 2006.0? Is there
17 > some mysterious package I need to emerge for this to work right?
18
19 From what I understand:
20 There are kernel changes required to get SCSI hotplug (and SATA hotplug) to
21 work "hands free". They are in development, but there's no ETA for when
22 they will be supported.
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh