From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev & recent genkernel + gentoo-sources
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:21:11
1 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2
3 >I recently updated portage tree & kernel and using usual
4 >
5 >genkernel --menuconfig --save-config all
6 >
7 >produced unbootable system :(
8 >Symptoms point most probably to udev being used by default etc. Here's
9 >what I have in grub.conf:
10 >
11 >title Gentoo linux (updated)
12 > root (hd0,0)
13 > kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n root=/dev/ram0
14 >real_root=/dev/hda11 init=/linuxrc video=vesafb:1024x768-32@72
15 >splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
16 > initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
19 >I've tried to follow those:
20 >
21 >http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
22 >http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
23 >http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_to_UDEV
24 >http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
25 >
26 >But it doesn't look like it applies to my case or maybe I jumped too
27 >far ahead and udev is not fully supported yet?
32 Well, udev is most definitly supported, since as of 2.6.12 devfs has
33 been officially "removed" from the kernel. Ok, technically only the
34 config option was removed, but you can expect that 2.6.13 will be
35 released without any devfs at all.
36
37 >Here's what I get booting (I'm writing it from memory mostly so don't
38 >think it's exact output):
39 >
40 >-install: applet not found
41 >/init: 41: ln: not found
42 >/init: 45: cat: not found
46 It looks to me like your /initramfs is completely screwed. Whatever
47 created that missed copying a bunch of necessary utilities (or more
48 likely, a dependant library) to the /initramfs. The "/init" messages
49 you see are almost certainly from the "/init" script in the initramfs.
50 Every line indicates it went to run a command, and either the command or
51 a library wasn't found.
52
53 I'm with Aj here...you need to skip genkernel and configure a kernel
54 from scratch. Compile everything you need to boot (disk drivers, root
55 filesystem driver, etc) into the kernel statically (not as a module!).
56 Then get rid of the "initrd" line in grub, lose the real_root=, init=,
57 splash=, gentoo=, and devfs= options on the kernel command line, and
58 change the "root=" option to "root=/dev/hda11".
59
60 What a freakin' mess!
61
62 -Richard