From: joost@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using lvm without a partition of type linux LVM
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:59:51
1 gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 >The lvm handbook addendum is no longer and we are instead to use
3 >the software raid + lvm2 quick install guide.
4 >
5 >That guide makes a few partitions of type linux raid and then puts lvm
6 >on a mirrored set (more is done).
7 >
8 >I wasn't using raid so skipped that step and wound up with
9 >one partition as a pv in my single vg and created several lvs in that
10 >vg.
11 >
12 >So far so good. But I realized that the single partition that I used
13 >was of type linux instead of linux lvm as I had always done when
14 >following the lvm handbook addendum.
15 >
16 >So what, I've made plenty of mistakes before, and will surely make
17 >plenty more later.
18 >
19 >But the resulting system works perfectly!
20 >
21 >If this is risky; I can reinstall. But I wonder if any action is
22 >necessary.
23 >
24 >What do you think?
25 >allan
26
27 I have done similar things in the past.
28 I think the idea is that with the LVM partition type, the tools can auto detect.
29 The reality is, the tools scan all the block devices.
30
31 It is possible to change the partition type from Linux to LVM without a reinstall. I would just reboot afterwards to be safe.
34 Joost
35 --
36 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.