From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Remove rust completely
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 02:05:24
1 On 2022-05-12, Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thank you for your response. The idea of "getting harder and harder"
4 > is hard to accept. Gentoo has always been about having choices.
5
6 It is. You can choose to avoid Rust if you want.
7
8 > Firefox requires rust, but is there a way to disable this?
9
10 No.
11
12 > There must be another way to let the user decide if they need it or not!
13
14 If you need Firefox, you need rust.
15
16 > And yes, the compile time is one of the factors in not wanting it on
17 > my system.
18
19 rust-bin solves that problem.
20
21 > The second factor is a natural reaction toward feeling that I am
22 > forced to have it. Another reason is the growing collection of
23 > compilers and development tools and their build time (gcc,
24 > bin-utils, llvm, clang ... etc.) and now rust.
25 >
26 > Firefox itself takes a lot of time to build, and if rust is a must
27 > have, then maybe it is time for me to look into something else. I know
28 > there's firefox-bin, and if it doesn't need rust, then maybe it is an
29 > option.
30
31 Firefox-bin does not require rust.