From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} offline backups
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:11:36
1 Am Freitag, 06.03.2015 um 09:10
2 schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
3
4 > >>> On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 07:51:35AM -0800, Grant wrote
5 > >>>> I have several encrypted backup repositories online and I'd like
6 > >>>> to somehow mirror that offline. I currently have about 20G of
7 > >>>> data to back up. Any ideas? Rewritable Blu-Ray?
8 > >
9 > > It would seem that this is a backup to a backup. I think I read
10 > > earlier that the OP already has backups but just wants more backups
11 > > just in case. I guess one can never really have to much, I guess.
14 > The idea is to have an offline backup in case all of my online stuff
15 > is infiltrated. Should I just connect a USB tape drive, USB hard
16 > drive, or USB flash drive when I want to back up the backups? Can
17 > tape be rewritten? If not, that may be the best choice so I can leave
18 > it connected all the time and not worry about it being deleted.
19
20 Tape is rewriteable of course. Otherwise it would be a very expensive
21 backup solution over the time (also depending on the amount of backup
22 data). ;-)
23
24 If media reliability is not most important for you and you already have
25 some (used) hard drive or USB drive then the costs are zero. If you
26 wanna have a more robust solution you must spend some money for a tape
27 drive or a hard disk RAID.
28
29 If you wanna use tape, don't buy a DAT drive. Most of them (especially
30 the cheaper ones) are crap. As Armin already suggested, buy a DLT or
31 LTO tape.
34 Regards
35 wabe