From: Alexey Eschenko <skobkin-ru@××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Policykit problems (blueman, nm-applet, USB mount, etc) after some update
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 13:42:16
1 On 10/26/18 3:15 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 26 October 2018 12:14:17 BST Alexey Eschenko wrote:
3 >> Hi.
4 >>
5 >> Some time ago (probably between two weeks and month) after another
6 >> system update I started encountering problems with some userland
7 >> services like blueman and nm-applet.
8 >>
9 >> I have encountered blueman problem every time when I logged in to my
10 >> XFCE session. Right after XFCE init I did see this:
11 >> https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/issues/913
12 >>
13 >> Probably at the same time I became unable to enable my VPN connections
14 >> using nm-applet. After choosing my connection from dropdown menu I've
15 >>
16 >> seen the error in notification bubble:
17 >>> The VPN connection "..." failed to start.
18 >>> Not authorized to control networking
19 >> Third but not as likely related (not sure if it started to happen at the
20 >> same time) is XFCE shutdown/reboot problems. For some time I'm unable to
21 >> directly shutdown or reboot my PC from XFCE "Action Buttons" panel
22 >> plugin. If I choose "Restart" or "Shut Down" then XFCE just logs out
23 >> from my session and I will see SDDM. If I choose shutdown/reboot in SDDM
24 >> then all will be ok but direct shutdown from XFCE only logs me out.
25 >>
26 >> And fourth problem is that for some time I became unable to mount USB
27 >> flash drives from the file manager. In Thunar when I'm clicking on USB
28 >> drive nothing happens (even nothing in the thunar console output if I
29 >> run it from there). There is also nothing strange in journalctl when I'm
30 >> plugging my USB flash drive.
31 >> If I try to mount my USB drive using "sudo mount /dev/sdX1
32 >> /media/usb_flash" then all works perfectly. udisksctl which I've never
33 >> used in the past (but was told to try after mentioning this problem)
34 >> mounts USB drive correctly but only after asking root password.
35 >>
36 >> After reading the issue in the blueman repository I tried "fix" which
37 >> was mentioned here:
38 >> https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/issues/912#issuecomment-427648539
39 >> https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/wiki/PolicyKit
40 >>
41 >> It did help with blueman error on XFCE start.
42 >> I'm not familiar with policykit at all but it looks like there was some
43 >> systematic changes in permission policies and I think that there must be
44 >> more correct and more generic solution than manually creating policykit
45 >> policies for every service which I notice problems with.
46 > I've experienced similar problems lately on a system where I had erroneously
47 > left settings to cater for startx, but these were in addition to what the
48 > Display Manager was doing (sddm). As a result there were two sessions
49 > starting as shown by ck-list-sessions and this created a clash blocking things
50 > like BT, USB mounts from userspace (on any DE) and the like.
51 >
52 > You may want to check if you have left any manually created session files in /
53 > etc/X11/Sessions/ and ~/.xinit or ~/.xsession.
54
55 Thanks for the tips. But looks like it's not my case (or at least I
56 think so):
57
58 > root@skobkin-pc /etc/X11/Sessions
59 > > # ls -l
60 > total 6
61 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    5 Aug  9 16:14 Xfce -> Xfce4
62 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   11 Aug  9 16:14 Xfce4
63 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2187 Jul  9 11:05 Xsession
64
65 > skobkin@skobkin-pc ~
66 > > $ ls -l ./.x*
67 > -rw-r--r-- 1 skobkin skobkin     72 Apr  2  2016 ./.xinitrc # here's
68 > only two commented lines which I used long ago
69 > -rw-r--r-- 1 skobkin skobkin   8149 Jan 12  2016 ./.xscreensaver
70 > -rw------- 1 skobkin skobkin 189985 Jul  9  2017 ./.xsession-errors
71 >
72 > > $ ls -l ./.X*
73 > -rw------- 1 skobkin skobkin 55 Oct 26 13:25 ./.Xauthority
74
75 > As a result there were two sessions
76 > starting as shown by ck-list-sessions
77
78 I don't have ck-list-sessions binary in my filesystem. Looks like it's
79 provided by sys-auth/consolekit which is not installed in my system
80 right now. But I think it was until I moved to the systemd and then made
81 depclean.
82
83 Also after this I tried to list sessions with loginctl but I've got
84 strange result:
85
86 > > $ loginctl list-sessions
87 > No sessions.
88 I remember when I used it last time it showed at least one X-session...
91 Kind regards,
92 Alexey Eschenko
93 https://skobk.in/