From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:46:12
1 On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Sebastián Magrí wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> The installation experience with the traditional method must be
9 >>>> mandatory... That's why I think we are better now that GLI is
10 >>>> deprecated...
11 >>>
12 >>> That's not good. It hurts Gentoo's popularity if it's not easy to
13 >>> install. But since there are not enough devs left for the GUI
14 >>> installer, not much that can be done.
15 >>>
16 >>> Gentoo isn't unsuitable for a GUI installer. It's stage 3, after all.
17 >>
18 >> gentoo had its highest popularity when there were no gui installer (and no
19 >> stable tree). This kept the stupid ' I don't want to read docs' crowd away.
20 >
21 > That's a contradicting statement. How was the popularity at highest if it
22 > kept a crowd away?
23
24 Because once those who know what they were doing have to resort to
25 "Learn to read", "Read The Friendly Manual", and "Ever heard of
26 Google?" so often, after likely having answered the same questions
27 10+times each, they all get a bad reputation, hurting the real
28 popularity of the system. Also, you can't count popularity of
29 something like Gentoo from the number that start to try it and give up
30 half way through the install... but rather by those who're still using
31 it some meaningful amount of time.
32
33 All... *entirely* wild guesses, though.
36 Poison [BLX]
37 Joshua M. Murphy