From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Multiple package instances ....". Help me understand this emerge error, please.
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:59:32
1 On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:59:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Personally, I think portage has gone too far and the complex solutions
4 > are causing problems that are worse than what they attempt to solve.
5 > Amzing solutions (like sub-slots) aren't really much use in the real
6 > world if the package maintainers use them incorrectly, right?
7 >
8 > Well that's my 2c.
9 > I was quite happy with revdep-rebuild
10
11 I wasn't because it relied on your system being broken before it could do
12 anything useful. @preserved-rebuild on the other hand was a perfectly
13 acceptable solution. It didn't break things but kept them working until
14 you could re-emerge the affected packages at a time t suit. Sub-slots are
15 not only complex, they force rebuilds of packages at a time of their
16 choosing, not mine. I'd rather not put all my other updates on hold
17 because sub-slots decide that e-emerging the current versions of
18 libreoffice and chromium is more important (thanks icu!).
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 There is never enough beer, sex or disk space!