From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Multiple package instances ....". Help me understand this emerge error, please.
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:59:39
1 On 23/02/2014 18:13, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Alan.
3 >
4 > On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 05:22:15PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >> On 23/02/2014 14:13, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6 >>>> - are you sure that's an emerge failure and not just a convoluted info
7 >>>>> message? Perhaps post the entire emerge output.
8 >>> I tried it again without the -p, and got the same output.
9 >
10 >>> I think this is a portage bug. At the very least, it's poor
11 >>> documentation. I've reported the situation to bugs.gentoo.org, bug
12 >>> #502236.
13 >
14 >>> Thanks for the help.
17 >> I don't think you have a portage bug as such (other than the sloppy
18 >> bizarre output messages that are going into recent versions). I think we
19 >> have bug in an ebuild, probably a maintainer that doesn't quite know how
20 >> to navigate these new subslots waters,
21 >
22 > OK. This is a bit philosophical. The way I see it is even if the main
23 > bug is in the libpng ebuild, portage should have a way of protecting
24 > itself against whatever is in the ebuild. Currently it's wedged.
27 I know what you mean. emerge doesn't work, therefore the system is broken.
31 >> One of the other replies suggested to unmerge libpng, emerge it back,
32 >> and continue with emerge world, @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild.
33 >
34 > I'll wait a few days on the response to the bug report, just in case
35 > somebody wants me to probe the current state.
36 >
37 >> Chances are this will work around the issue and let you update
38 >> everything. There *is* a chance some package(s) won't work with or won't
39 >> compile with libpng[1] and you'll have to unwind things again. If this
40 >> happens that will be valuable info to add the entry at bgo
41 >
42 >> [1] This happened to me at least once before, I had to package.mask the
43 >> latest version of the library until the tree sorted itself out. IIRC, it
44 >> was libpng then too!
45 >
46 > Surely package management shouldn't be this difficult?
47
48 Indeed.
49
50 yum is not this difficult.
51 apt is not this difficult.
52 FreeBSD ports are not this difficult.
53 [Windows OTOH often is this difficult].
54
55 The big difference is those are binary distros so they have a somewhat
56 stable and predictable base. Gentoo is not, Gentoo's base is "whatever
57 emerge finds happens to be there". All the complexity, new features and
58 weird verbose messages in portage are not there to make things work,
59 they are there to detect problems when it doesn't work and prevent
60 problem situations from going into the works in the first place.
61
62 Personally, I think portage has gone too far and the complex solutions
63 are causing problems that are worse than what they attempt to solve.
64 Amzing solutions (like sub-slots) aren't really much use in the real
65 world if the package maintainers use them incorrectly, right?
66
67 Well that's my 2c.
68 I was quite happy with revdep-rebuild
72 Alan McKinnon
73 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com