From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Multiple package instances ....". Help me understand this emerge error, please.
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 16:17:24
1 Hello, Alan.
2
3 On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 05:22:15PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > On 23/02/2014 14:13, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > >> - are you sure that's an emerge failure and not just a convoluted info
6 > >> > message? Perhaps post the entire emerge output.
7 > > I tried it again without the -p, and got the same output.
8
9 > > I think this is a portage bug. At the very least, it's poor
10 > > documentation. I've reported the situation to bugs.gentoo.org, bug
11 > > #502236.
12
13 > > Thanks for the help.
16 > I don't think you have a portage bug as such (other than the sloppy
17 > bizarre output messages that are going into recent versions). I think we
18 > have bug in an ebuild, probably a maintainer that doesn't quite know how
19 > to navigate these new subslots waters,
20
21 OK. This is a bit philosophical. The way I see it is even if the main
22 bug is in the libpng ebuild, portage should have a way of protecting
23 itself against whatever is in the ebuild. Currently it's wedged.
24
25 > One of the other replies suggested to unmerge libpng, emerge it back,
26 > and continue with emerge world, @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild.
27
28 I'll wait a few days on the response to the bug report, just in case
29 somebody wants me to probe the current state.
30
31 > Chances are this will work around the issue and let you update
32 > everything. There *is* a chance some package(s) won't work with or won't
33 > compile with libpng[1] and you'll have to unwind things again. If this
34 > happens that will be valuable info to add the entry at bgo
35
36 > [1] This happened to me at least once before, I had to package.mask the
37 > latest version of the library until the tree sorted itself out. IIRC, it
38 > was libpng then too!
39
40 Surely package management shouldn't be this difficult?
41
42 > --
43 > Alan McKinnon
44 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com