From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Multiple package instances ....". Help me understand this emerge error, please.
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 15:22:39
1 On 23/02/2014 14:13, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 >> - are you sure that's an emerge failure and not just a convoluted info
3 >> > message? Perhaps post the entire emerge output.
4 > I tried it again without the -p, and got the same output.
5 >
6 > I think this is a portage bug. At the very least, it's poor
7 > documentation. I've reported the situation to bugs.gentoo.org, bug
8 > #502236.
9 >
10 > Thanks for the help.
13 I don't think you have a portage bug as such (other than the sloppy
14 bizarre output messages that are going into recent versions). I think we
15 have bug in an ebuild, probably a maintainer that doesn't quite know how
16 to navigate these new subslots waters,
19 One of the other replies suggested to unmerge libpng, emerge it back,
20 and continue with emerge world, @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild.
21
22 Chances are this will work around the issue and let you update
23 everything. There *is* a chance some package(s) won't work with or won't
24 compile with libpng[1] and you'll have to unwind things again. If this
25 happens that will be valuable info to add the entry at bgo
26
27 [1] This happened to me at least once before, I had to package.mask the
28 latest version of the library until the tree sorted itself out. IIRC, it
29 was libpng then too!
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com