From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revisit bouncing messages from this list
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:44:43
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2021.09.19 13:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:00:35 -0400, Jack wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and there
6 >> > was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
7 >> > message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a URL
8 >> > to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org.  Does such a
9 >> > translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?
10 >>
11 >> AFAIR you send a mail to the help address in the headers of any
12 >> message from the list and the list server will return a list of
13 >> commands,
14 >> including the one you need.
15 > I've done that, and I'll look again, but I don't recall seeing what I
16 > need.  What that help message does have is a command for requesting
17 > the list server to resend a message based on message number.  That
18 > fails for me, as the resend bounces for the same reason the original
19 > bounced, even if I don't know exactly what that was.  I've tried it
20 > numerous times, and have never received the requested resend.  I need
21 > a way to find the message through the web interface of the list
22 > archives - but that works by message-id, not message number, thus  my
23 > need to translate.
27 In the past I've tried following the instructions, used to be on the
28 Gentoo site somewhere, and I've never got it to work.  I literally copy
29 and pasted the info and it has never sent the missing messages or a
30 error message.  If you do get it to work, I'd love to know how you did it.
31
32 If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath getting this to work.  Unless
33 something has changed since I tried it, it is a lost cause.
34
35 Dale
36