From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting styles
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:32:18
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 >I can't tell any difference over here. It looks the same to me. <
4 >scratches head >
8 Mozilla/Thunderbird will 'interpret' plain-text messages, so for example
9 when you see this in Thunderbird, you will see that /this is italic/,
10 *this is bold*, and _this is underlined_. No HTML coding necessary. It
11 will also convert '>' at the beginning of the line to the vertical lines
12 that you see, and convert known smiley sequences to icons. It will also
13 highlight links for you, and re-justify paragraphs, and probably a dozen
14 or so other things...
15
16 So it is normal that you would not notice any significant difference
17 between plain-text and (simple) HTML-formatted messages in the normal
18 view. But you can see the differences with "View->Message Source". You
19 might want to do this with some messages that you post, just to get an
20 idea of how they really look in plain text.
21
22 -Richard
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list