From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Custom ebuilds for CoreOS
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 18:55:49
1 On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
3 >
4 >> You seem to be wanting a minimalist profile of Gentoo, not CoreOS.
5 >
6 > YES!, I want Gentoo to "CRUSH" CoreOS because we can and our goal is not
7 > to deceptively move users to a "rent the binary" jail. OK?
10 Gentoo and CoreOS really target different uses. I certainly could see
11 one being installed more than the other just as there are no doubt
12 more tubes of toothpaste sold in a year than there are iPhones sold in
13 a year (or, at least I hope there are). That doesn't mean that
14 toothpaste is "crushing" the iPhone.
15
16 This isn't unlike Gentoo vs ChromeOS. You're comparing a
17 general-purpose distro (and one that is even more
18 general-purpose/customizable than a typical one) to a tool made to do
19 exactly one job well.
20
21 CoreOS is just about hosting containers. Sure, some of those
22 containers might be "rent the binary jails" - but you could run Gentoo
23 in one of those containers just as easily. CoreOS really competes
24 with the likes of VMWare/KVM, or even OpenStack. If you don't want to
25 run a bazillion containers, then sure it isn't something you're going
26 to be interested in.
29 >> It isn't intended as a starting point for embedded projects or such.
30 >> Sure, maybe you could make it work, but sooner or later CoreOS will
31 >> make some change that will make you very unhappy because they aren't
32 >> making it for you.
33 >
34 > CoreOS will never be in my critical path. Large corporations will turn
35 > computer scientist and hackers into WalMart type-employees. Conglomerates
36 > are the enemy, imho. I fear Conglomerates much more than any group
37 > of government idiots. ymmv.
38
39 Well, then don't run it! Large corporations are actually the
40 least-progressive when it comes to adopting these kinds of
41 technologies. I actually see thing being embraced by mid-sized
42 companies first. The "new way" of doing these things lets you quickly
43 scale up from development to production without a lot of manual
44 configuration of individual hosts. I work for a big company and
45 they're still doing lots of manual installation scripts that get
46 signed and dated like it is still the 80s. It isn't Walmart-type work
47 primarily because it is so error-prone we always need people to fix
48 all the stuff that breaks. My LUG meets at a mid-sized VoIP company
49 that uses the likes of Puppet/Chef for everything and I'm sure Docker
50 is on their radar as something to think about next - they're hardly
51 robots but they realize that they'd rather have their bright employees
52 doing something other than dealing with botched updates on hosts that
53 bring down 47 VMs at a time. Their customers like that they can just
54 pay them for a VoIP account and get full service for a low cost,
55 versus paying the kid next door to figure out how to custom-rig a PBX
56 for them. And, yes, they use Asterisk.
59 Rich