From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] layman: cannot properly execute...
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 18:29:22
1 Hi, all,
2
3 For some time I've been getting messages like:
4
5 cannot properly execute
6 /var/lib/layman/science/virtual/lapack/lapack-3.6-r100.ebuild
7
8 for *every* package in the science overlay. This happened on 2 of 3
9 very similar gentoo
10 systems I maintain, but not the third. As far as I could tell, the
11 permissions and
12 ownership of all /etc/portage and /usr/portage and /var/lib/layman
13 files and directories
14 are identical. All the machines have the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group files,
15 the same /var/lib/portage/world files, and so on. I've gone to some
16 effort to make these
17 machines as identical as possible. I have done layman -d science then layman -a
18 science to see if wiping out the overlay then reinstalling it would
19 help, but that makes no
20 difference.
21
22 Googling the error produces just a few hits that recommend permissions
23 and ownerships
24 that helped solve this problem for others, but don't help me.
25
26 It appears that this error message comes from /usr/bin/eix. I've
27 looked through the
28 source code a bit, but it's been long enough since I've messed with C
29 that this didn't
30 yield any answers.
31
32 strace indicates that eix does an lstat on every element of
33 /var/lib/layman/science/virtual/lapack/lapack-3.6-r100.ebuild before
34 deciding to print the
35 error message. It also indicates that eix does a setuid and setgid to
36 portage:portage
37 early in its execution. As far as I can tell, portage:portage ought
38 to be able to both read
39 and execute this ebuild (and all the other ones eix complains about).
40
41 And now, out of the blue apparently, the third system has started
42 spitting out this error
43 message as well.
44
45 Any ideas on how to debug this?