From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird framebuffer problem when booting
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:15:56
1 In my defense though, the example immediately following that comment did
2 NOT have the '0x' preceding the value, and it was the example I was
3 going by...
4
5 On 2013-04-28 1:13 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > On 2013-04-28 12:51 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> IIRC (this goes back a long while), the vesafb and vga= options are
8 >> completely unrelated and refer to *different* framebuffer systems. So
9 >> vesafb ignores vga= and defaults to ... default :-)
10 >
11 > Not according to the gentoo wiki:
12 >
13 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer#vesafb_2
14 >
15 >> Put the vesafb: option on the kernel command line instead.
16 >
17 > I am putting it on the kernel command line:
18 >
19 > title Gentoo Linux 3.7.10-r1-curr
20 > root (hd0,0)
21 > kernel /boot/kernel-3.7.10-gentoo-r1-curr root=/dev/sda3
22 > video=vesafb:mtrr:y,ywrap vga=ask
23 >
24 > But, after re-reading that page above for the 10th time, I finally
25 > noticed this comment:
26 >
27 >> Setting vga=ask is a good idea if you are unsure what to use, as the
28 >> kernel will stop and ask you for the desired resolution and color
29 >> depth. The displayed mode numbers are in HEX format - use the
30 >> preceding 0x when updating your grub.conf with the new video mode.
31 >
32 > I was just adding the number '341'... after adding vga=0x341, it works
33 > just fine.
34 >
35 > Wasted a few hours on that one. Gotta start paying more attention to
36 > detail...