From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3Com PCMCIA network card not recognised
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:07:41
1 On Tuesday 14 December 2010 20:05:01 Bill Longman wrote:
2 > On 12/13/2010 07:17 PM, Stroller wrote:
3 > >> What do you get in log messages and dmesg when you compile
4 > >> CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m and run modprobe -v
5 > >
6 > > Exactly the same thing. If I `modprobe -v 3c589_cs && lsmod | grep -i 3c`
7 > > I can see the module loaded, but I see exactly the same single line of
8 > > text (and nothing more) when I plug the card in; the card is not shown
9 > > in `ifconfig -a`. It doesn't make any difference if I load the module
10 > > before plugging the card in or afterwards.
11 > >
12 > > The only remaining things I can think to do are to `make clean` before
13 > > compiling my kernel and trying the exact .config & kernel version from
14 > > the system rescue CD. I'm not optimistic of those, however - I still
15 > > think I'm likely overlooking something stupid.
16 >
17 > Try another kernel branch? Vanilla sources? Etc....
18
19 Stroller, have you had any success with this problem using the systemrescue CD
20 kernel config? Looking at the configs you posted I can't see anything amiss.
21
22 I assume that you have also checked that the necessary symlink is pointing to
23 /etc/init.d/net.lo ?
24
25 If the NIC in question is recognised as eth1 then something like this would be
26 needed:
27
28 cd /etc/init.d
29 ln -s net.lo net.eth1
30
31 Finally, check that you have emerged sys-apps/pcmciautils and reboot for good
32 measure.
33
34 HTH.
35 --