From: marcin <marcinzw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 2.6 and OpenGL
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 15:02:02
1 On 5/7/06, Rohit Sharma <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > marcin wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi
5 > >
6 > > I've been comparing lately performance OpenGL apps against different
7 > > kernels 2.6.x and 2.4. Overall performance is comparable but a scheduler
8 > > of kernel 2.6 is very annoying (to say at least).
9 >
10 > I have not tried it myself, but there is an option in kernel config
11 > which facilitates the role of "Low latency desktop" in the 2.6 kernels.
12 > A parameter can be set to 1000 [default] and can be lowered to 250 [for
13 > low lat desk..]. It may help. Plus if you chose deadline scheduler as
14 > standard, it may help.
17 If by "Low latency desktop" you mean "Preemptible Kernel
18 (Low-Latency Desktop)" then i have tried this and it doesn't help.
19 I set the kernel timer frequency to 100 Hz.
20
21 The funny thing is that if I have tired
22 $ strace glxgears
23 then fps have increased to 100.
24 It seems that this is a problem with scheduler interactivity.
25 I would be a nice feature if I could simply turn it off.
26
27 Regards,
28 Marcin
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list