From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 03:55:12
1 > I usally use ext4 as filesystem.
2 >
3 > # lsmod|grep ext
4 > ext3 100768 0
5 > jbd 39586 1 ext3
6 > ext2 49572 0
7 > ext4 263621 1
8 > crc16 1255 2 ext4,bluetooth
9 > mbcache 4450 3 ext2,ext3,ext4
10 > jbd2 48679 1 ext4
11 >
12 > Isn't great what an initramfs can do?
13
14 In this case, initramfs is your root filesystem, from which you load
15 another fs and then transfer (pivot root?) to it. You have to build
16 initramfs support into the kernel, to boot an initramfs. So my argument
17 still stands, regardless of whether your *INITIAL* filesystem is ext4fs,
18 or ZFS, or initramfs, that *INITIAL* filesystem has to be built into the
19 kernel. Also, I really wonder what the point is in having to use
20 initramfs on a system where /usr is part of /.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications