From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:37:30
1 On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> - SSD vs 10000rpm vs big-and-cheap hard drive for rootfs/system files.
3 >> I lean toward the latter since RAM caches it anyway.
4 >
5 > SSDs can make things snappier for boot times. Having lots of ram for
6 > disk cache eliminates the benefit after booted since ram is even
7 > faster than a SSD.
8
9 I decided on a hard drive for the primary disk rather than SSD. For a
10 combination of size (1TB), performance (according to benchmarks) and
11 price (according to my pockets) I chose a Samsung HD103SJ (7200rpm,
12 1TB, 32MB cache, 2x500gb platters) drive which appears to have great
13 overall performance and low operating temperatures.
14
15 I haven't received the disks yet so for now I'm just playing with an
16 old spare drive and installed Windows 7 (trial) for
17 configuring/testing the overclock settings since all of the
18 motherboard tools are in Windows only. Once I have it running fast &
19 cool, it's Gentoo time!
20
21 I also tried the Gentoo LiveDVD 10.1, written to a USB flash drive
22 (with unetbootin), and it worked great. I had the PC hooked up to my
23 TV with HDMI and it used proper 16:9 resolution, got DHCP address
24 automatically and everything seemed to simply work properly. It will
25 be great to use Konsole and Firefox during install, compared to having
26 a 80x25 terminal like I did many years ago in my last install. Good
27 job to the LiveDVD team!