From: Jakob <jak.gentoo@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logrotate desn't create new empty files
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:41:21
1 > Look for a dead.letter file in /root which may contain any errors of the
2 > logrotate script. In my system there is /etc/logrotate.d/syslog-ng which
3 > contains:
4 > ===================================
5 > #
6 > $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-admin/syslog-ng/files/syslog-ng.logrotate,v
7 > 1.2 2004/07/18 02:25:02 dragonheart Exp $
8 > #
9 > # Syslog-ng logrotate snippet for Gentoo Linux
10 > # contributed by Michael Sterrett
11 > #
12 >
13 > /var/log/messages {
14 > sharedscripts
15 > postrotate
16 > /etc/init.d/syslog-ng reload > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
17 > endscript
18 > }
19 > ===================================
20 >
21 > It seems to rotate the messages log file fine and create compressed backups
22 > within /var/log. If you have both scripts then there may be a conflict which
23 > would probably be captured in dead.letter.
24 >
25 > HTH.
26 > --
27 > Regards,
28 > Mick
29 >
30 Thanks for that hint, but there was nothing about logrotate in dead.letter.
31 logrotate itself works fine for me but I want the messages file erased
32 after rotating and start with a new file and that doesn't work.
33 any more ideas?
34
35 Regards
36