From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logrotate desn't create new empty files
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:16:13
1 On Saturday 04 August 2007 09:29, Jakob wrote:
2 > > from LOGROTATE(8):
3 > >
4 > > Here is more information on the directives which may be included in a
5 > > logrotate configuration file:
6 > >
7 > > [...]
8 > >
9 > > copy Make a copy of the log file, but don't change the original at
10 > > all. This option can be used, for instance, to make a
11 > > snapshot of the current log file, or when some other utility needs to
12 > > truncate or pare the file. When this option is used, the create option
13 > > will have no effect, as the old log file stays in place. --
14 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
15 >
16 > Thanks for that, I deleated copy, but it seams that the problem stays :-(
17
18 Look for a dead.letter file in /root which may contain any errors of the
19 logrotate script. In my system there is /etc/logrotate.d/syslog-ng which
20 contains:
21 ===================================
22 #
23 $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-admin/syslog-ng/files/syslog-ng.logrotate,v
24 1.2 2004/07/18 02:25:02 dragonheart Exp $
25 #
26 # Syslog-ng logrotate snippet for Gentoo Linux
27 # contributed by Michael Sterrett
28 #
29
30 /var/log/messages {
31 sharedscripts
32 postrotate
33 /etc/init.d/syslog-ng reload > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
34 endscript
35 }
37
38 It seems to rotate the messages log file fine and create compressed backups
39 within /var/log. If you have both scripts then there may be a conflict which
40 would probably be captured in dead.letter.
41
42 HTH.
43 --
44 Regards,