From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BACKUPS
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 05:33:00
1 On 09/10/14 06:10, Kerin Millar wrote:
2 [snip]
3
4 >>> I just extracted the files with "tar..."
5 >>
6 >> I read your forum post and can see that you're (dangerously) extracting
7 >> directly into the root directory and that this is among the contents of
8 >> the archive:
9 >>
10 >> ./usr/lib/
11 >> ./usr/lib/libbrcomplpr2.so
12 >>
13 >> I posit that tar clobbers the /usr/lib symlink, converting it into a
14 >> directory because that is what is stored in the archive.
15 >>
16 >> Ergo, use the --keep-directory-symlink parameter.
17 >
18 >Excuse the fact that I am replying to myself, but I must also stress
19 >that the library does not belong in lib64. On a 64-bit system, you
20 >should adapt your process so that the library ends up residing in lib32,
21 >not lib64 (by way of the lib symlink). The software will not be able to
22 >function correctly otherwise.
23 >
24 >--Kerin
25
26 Thank you again.
27 On a different subject. Do you have a good pointer on how to backup a system.
28 I just had a HD crash so I selected a replacement SSD and I'm re installing the software.
29 I had backup of /etc/ and /home but I've missed all other settings eg:
30 /boot/ kernel config and other files and are not in /etc directory like: hylafax setting etc.
31
32 Is there a way to keep backup of all those configuration files that are manually edited?
35 Joseph