From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:04:47
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Hmmm, I use resierfs for my file systems, most of them anyway. I still
6 >> use e2fsprogs to change those?
7 >>
8 > No, but you can use reiserfstune -l.
11 >> Is there a way to boot a Gentoo/Knoppix CD and make it use the PATA
12 >> drivers? That way I can boot it and see exactly how it will name them
13 >> and what drive is what without actually changing anything at all. Is
14 >> there a boot option "noide" or some other switch I can use?
15 >>
16 > Don't know. But even if so the result is not cecessarily accurate.
17 >
18 > My two SATA drives were sd[ab], but when I added two PATA drives those got
19 > these names, and the SATA ones became sa[cd]. But even this changes, with
20 > a kernel derived from GRML, the PATA ones were sd[bc], and the SATA ones
21 > sd[ad]. Weird, huh? And things become even mor eunpredictable when I have
22 > USB drives plugged in during boot. So I also suggest using labels or
23 > UUIDs.
24 >
25 > My own method is yet another one. As I have everything on LVM (except for
26 > the /boot partitino, which is on an USB stick), my drives are identified
27 > by their volume group. /dev/weird is the system drive, /dev/weird2 is the
28 > identical backup drive. This way I do not have any /dev/sdX in either
29 > fstab or grub.conf. And when the system drive fails, I vgrename wird2 to
30 > weird, and then the backup drive will become the system drive.
31 >
32 > Wonko
36 It would be nice if something like *fdisk could edit the labels tho. It
37 would be so much easier. I didn't see anything in the man pages tho.
38
39 I looked into LVM a good while ago. It's just to much for me to keep up
40 with since I just have a desktop system here. It has its good points
41 but just way overkill for what I have here.
42
43 It seems as time goes on, things get more complicated. lol
44
45 Dale
46