From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 16:26:11
1 On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 >>>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
9 >>>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
10 >>>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
11 >>>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
12 >>>> any GUI stuff?
13 >>>
14 >>> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
15 >>> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
16 >>> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
17 >>> me)
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
21 >> That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
22 >> different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
23
24 Hi Michael,
25 OK, the markets are _really_ boring this morning so while I'm
26 waiting for grass to grow on my trading platform I did the 32-bit
27 install in a Virtualbox VM. Booted up fine the first time. Only took
28 about an hour to get it running, so not too bad. (Made easier by being
29 able to look at config files on host.
30
31 emerge -DuN @world ran in a few minutes and the machine is
32 up-to-date so I can start looking at maybe ffmpeg or something as a
33 32-bit app.
34
35 For anyone following this thread silently (or looking it up in some
36 future search) the default settings in gentoo-sources-2.3.12 were
37 fine. I changed the processor to a Core 2 setting, removed all the
38 networking devices except for the default Intel devices which are
39 built in (as that's what the Virtualbox network VM model seems to be
40 built on) and built in ext3 & ext4 file systems. I used grub, not
41 grub-static as I usually do and just followed the 32-bit install
42 guide. Booted perfectly the first time.
43
44 The only Vbox trick was to choose the bridged adapter, not the
45 default NAT device. After I did that networking was up and I was off
46 and running.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Mark