From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert wmv to mp4?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 01:04:35
1 On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 [snip]
6
7 >>> Maybe a 32-bit Gentoo chroot that doesn't maintain any desktop or X11,
8 >>> etc. could work? If I could convert the files at the command line
9 >>> using ffmpeg in 32-bit then that would be pretty manageable in terms
10 >>> of Gentoo work, assuming the ffmpeg package can be built as without
11 >>> any GUI stuff?
12 >>
13 >> I was just thinking that. I played with a chroot briefly just before
14 >> inara and kaylee bit it, and it seemed pretty trivial. Were it me,
15 >> that'd be the next thing I'd try. (But then, compiling is cheap for
16 >> me)
19 > I think I'll try it in a Virtualbox VM first I instead of a chroot.
20 > That's pretty easy to deal with. Easy to back up. Easy to move to a
21 > different system down the road. No disk partitions, etc.
22 >
23 > Biggest issue for me is likely to be that I haven't done a 32-bit
24 > install in at least 6 years. No idea what to watch out for but I doubt
25 > it's any big deal. No idea how the 32-bit VM really does 32-bit when
26 > it's running on a 64-bit processor that's doing 64-bit all the time
27 > but I guess that's why we pay these Intel & Oracle people the big
28 > bucks, right? ;-)
29
30 Actually, it's pretty simple, and works just fine IME. I've run 32-bit
31 processes on 64-bit systems ever since I started using 64-bit Linux a
32 few years ago, and it's unavoidable if one does anything on 64-bit
33 Windows.
36 > And if I end up needing X in the 32-bit environment for some reason it
37 > will be easy to add that down the road.
38
39 For that, I imagine I'd use a TCP socket connecting to localhost. To
40 put it simply, X network transparency is simply awesome. Your x server
41 would run in your 64-bit environment, and your client app would run in
42 your 32-bit environment.
45 > It's a real drag about the hassles your machines have been going
46 > through. I hope you get by that soon.
47
48 I'm probably going to lose inara to Ubuntu 12.04, unless I get lucky
49 and manage to properly configure a tiny WYSE box I picked up at a
50 computer recycling center. If that works, I'm in good shape.
54 :wq