From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:04:01
1 On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:50:45 +0100
2 pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-01-05 13:08, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5
6 [snip]
7
8 > > mdev has a much narrower scope where things are considerably more
9 > > static.
10 >
11 > Currently it does have a more narrow scope, yes, but that can change,
12 > no? Although I'm not entirely convinced that a userspace dev manager
13 > is needed (yes, devfs on Linux was an utter failure but Solaris, Mac
14 > OS X, *BSDs use it[1] and done properly in Linux it should work just
15 > as fine)...
16 >
17 > 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devfs#devfs
18
19 As I understand it, devfs had unfixable race-condition problems.
20 Normally these things can be fixed with an architectural re-design but
21 Greg then showed up with udev. It's in-kernel design is quite elegant
22 actually. But udev then and udev now are likely very different beasts.
23
24 And that's about my limit of things I know for certain with udev
25
26 > > As for re-arranging the fs layout, I think it was Canek in the last
27 > > thread that gave an excellent example of why this is needed. When
28 > > devices hotplug, or need to become active early on in the boot
29 > > process, they need to run code that can be located almost anywhere.
30 > > It wouldn't be fun trying to get a wireless keyboard going when
31 > > it's start-up script needs to get into /usr/lib/firmware and /usr
32 > > isn't mounted yet.
33 >
34 > Yes, I understand the need for this but... how does a wireless
35 > keyboard work under bios/firmware (*efi)? Never tried one and never
36 > will... A computer without ports should handle such connections in
37 > firmware (analogy: You don't need software to drive a cable).
38
39 To you and I it might seem absurd, but I think out there in the
40 marketplace it's quite a reasonable thing for a user to want. And if
41 that example never happens, there's hundreds more than can. Point
42 being, the code must be able to deal with such things.
43
44 > > I do agree with collapsing the executable code in /usr into /, or
45 > > having /usr on the root partition. A separate /usr/{,s}bin is pretty
46 > > pointless and was never done for safety or maintenance reasons. It
47 > > was done way way way back when disks were small and a convenient
48 > > hack was to keep the OS on the boot device and user apps somewhere
49 > > else on bigger but slower storage (which often was remote).
50 >
51 > Hm... I find it quite elegant and flexible with the separation of /
52 > and it's various underlying directories. I guess we can agree on
53 > disagreeing here... although, I'm a bit surprised to see you as an
54 > admin defending the "new" way... Windows does have such a philosophy
55 > with putting everything system related into a directory (\WINDOWS)...
56 > Ultimately one can argue why use anything else besides Windows, it
57 > does the job reasonably well.
58
59 Oh, I'm not advocating doing it Windows style, I'm simply saying what's
60 the point of the system itself having 4 locations for binaries when I
61 never use that separation? I gain nothing from having a /bin and
62 a /usr/bin.
63
64 /opt and /usr/local/bin *are* useful so I'd keep those. Same with /var
65 and all the other traditional separate mount points.
68 > > If /usr is local, what really is the point of having it separate
69 > > from /? Have you ever found a Linux system in any condition that
70 > > could not start just because the stuff in /usr was available? I
71 > > haven't.
72 > >
73 > > Even the split between bin and sbin is arbitrary. It's only there so
74 > > that users can take sbin out of PATH and not have the screen
75 > > cluttered with endless junk when they tab-tab. It makes much more
76 > > sense to me to just have one single bin and lib location and shove
77 > > everything into it.
78 >
79 > I'm not an admin of a large organization so what do I know... but, I
80 > still can appreciate the flexibility and "tidyness" it[2] gives you
81 > in a multi-user system. I also can see this from a security point of
82 > view ("keep the cool toys from the children")... I personally like it
83 > for my very local computer as well for the above reasons (flex./tidy).
84 >
85 > 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
86 >
87 > What you are basically saying is that everything "we" have learned
88 > about computer systems should be abolished and we adapt the
89 > monolithic, "black box" philosophy of newish systems like Windows.
90 > That's how I interpret what you're saying (yes, I do know hardware
91 > has changed since the 60'ies but not that radically, IMO)... I tend
92 > to think of Unix as "Lego" where you have lots of little bits with
93 > clean(ish) interfaces with which you can build whatever you want.dual
96 Good analogy. I also like building systems from individual Lego bricks.
97 I don't like having to build the bricks themselves first :-)
98
99 Windows goes too far to the other extreme IMO. That OS seems to have
100 largely abandoned control and there's not much in the way of
101 structure. Too little control is just as bad as too much
104 [snip]
109 Alan McKinnnon
110 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com