From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine running before modem turned on - Network weirdness
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:11:27
1 On 26/07/2016 18:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I can remember in the distant past that I had to have my modem
4 > turned on before the computer otherwise, I wouldn't get an IP address.
5 > Then something changed. One day I forgot to turn on the modem first. I
6 > turned the machine on then realised the modem wasn't on, I turned it,
7 > the modem, on and prepared to reboot the machine only to see an IP
8 > address appear.
9 >
10 > It appeared that dhcp was now periodically attempting to get an
11 > address whereas in the past, if on boot it didn't find one, that was it,
12 > it just gave up. It appears that my machine has now, for some reason
13 > reverted to "the olden days" of IP address allocation. No modem at boot,
14 > no IP address. Reboot the machine, with the modem continuing to run, and
15 > I get an IP address. When I have no IP address, I can run "dhcpcd
16 > restart" and I'll get one.
17 >
18 > Anyone got any idea as to what has changed? What should I be looking
19 > for to fiddle to get my preferred behaviour, modem/machine startup in
20 > any order and I'll get an IP address. Is there a dchp "polling time" or
21 > something similar that I need to set to get this running nicely again?
22 >
23 > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
24 > Andrew
27 There's no single global default, that is set is whatever dhcp client
28 you are using. Which one is it?
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com