From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine running before modem turned on - Network weirdness
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:53:44
1 On 27/07/16 00:10, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 26/07/2016 18:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> I can remember in the distant past that I had to have my modem
5 >> turned on before the computer otherwise, I wouldn't get an IP address.
6 >> Then something changed. One day I forgot to turn on the modem first. I
7 >> turned the machine on then realised the modem wasn't on, I turned it,
8 >> the modem, on and prepared to reboot the machine only to see an IP
9 >> address appear.
10 >>
11 >> It appeared that dhcp was now periodically attempting to get an
12 >> address whereas in the past, if on boot it didn't find one, that was it,
13 >> it just gave up. It appears that my machine has now, for some reason
14 >> reverted to "the olden days" of IP address allocation. No modem at boot,
15 >> no IP address. Reboot the machine, with the modem continuing to run, and
16 >> I get an IP address. When I have no IP address, I can run "dhcpcd
17 >> restart" and I'll get one.
18 >>
19 >> Anyone got any idea as to what has changed? What should I be looking
20 >> for to fiddle to get my preferred behaviour, modem/machine startup in
21 >> any order and I'll get an IP address. Is there a dchp "polling time" or
22 >> something similar that I need to set to get this running nicely again?
23 >>
24 >> Thoughts greatly appreciated,
25 >> Andrew
28 > There's no single global default, that is set is whatever dhcp client
29 > you are using. Which one is it?
32 dhcpcd