From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I make an installable copy
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:54:11
1 Mike Kenny wrote:
2 > I now have my stage 3 installed an working. Am in the process of
3 > downloading all the requirements for openXchange (Man! I love emerge)
4 >
5 > But, many (most) users will not want to go to the trouble that I have.
6 > In fact, in South Africa most won't have access to the bandwidth to do
7 > this. I am looking for a link to a tutorial or howto that will inform me
8 > how to:
9 >
10 > 1. After I have a basic bootable system created, create a backup CD from
11 > which I can boot and re-install in the event of a catastrophe
12
13 Use tar or some other archive utility (possibly mksquashfs) to make a complete backup of the root filesystem (use "mount" with no arguments to see mount points that should be excluded).
14
15 > 2. After I have configured servers (Apache or JBoss or openXchange,
16 > etc.) create a DVD or set of CDs which can be booted and installed from
17 > without all the re-configuration
18
19 The easiest way to make a customized bootable cd/dvd is to remaster an existing one. The mkisofs manpage documents the creation of a bootable iso image. You will also want to consult the eltorito documentation for isolinux or grub depending on which boot loader you choose.
20
21 Zac
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list