From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Don't miss the 1 500 000 000 Unix second!
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:24:09
1 On 2017-07-15, Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Well, the return type for time() changed from "int" (or was it long?)
5 >> to "time_t" many years back. That said, the actual underlying
6 >> representation has never changed on 32-bit Linux systems. Posix
7 >> requires it to be signed, and on 32-bit Linux systems, it's still
8 >> going to overflow in 2038 -- same as it ever was.
9 >
10 > This is correct:
11 >
12 > mh@n ~ $ date -u -d @2147483647
13 > Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 UTC 2038
14 > mh@n ~ $ date -u -d @2147483648
15 > date: invalid date '@2147483648'
16 >
17 ><crystal ball mode>Will there be any fix until then, or will I have
18 > to reinstall all my 32bit Gentoo systems with 64bit kernels?</crystal
19 > ball mode>
20 >
21 > Is there actually a "how-to" to replace a 32-bit-Gentoo by a 64-bit-
22 > Gentoo?
23
24 This is the easy way:
25
26 1) Back up user data (e.g. home directories) and system config files
27 (e.g. /etc/)
28
29 2) Install from scratch
30
31 3) restore user data and config files.
32
33 > Do I have to format the harddisk (and rebuild everything from
34 > scratch), oder can I just keep all the (postfix, apache...) configuration
35 > in /etc, all my personal stuff in /usr/local and all the data in /var
36 > and just install a 64-bit kernel in /boot? (Of course, with all its
37 > dependencies like kernel modules and "system-near" binaries and all
38 > that.)
39
40 It's not just the kernel. If you want to avoid the 32-bit time
41 problem, then you need to re-install all of the user-space librairies
42 and binary exectuables that use the time() libc function.
45 Grant