From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Don't miss the 1 500 000 000 Unix second!
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 07:08:53
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, the return type for time() changed from "int" (or was it long?)
4 > to "time_t" many years back. That said, the actual underlying
5 > representation has never changed on 32-bit Linux systems. Posix
6 > requires it to be signed, and on 32-bit Linux systems, it's still
7 > going to overflow in 2038 -- same as it ever was.
8
9 This is correct:
10
11 mh@n ~ $ date -u -d @2147483647
12 Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 UTC 2038
13 mh@n ~ $ date -u -d @2147483648
14 date: invalid date '@2147483648'
15
16 <crystal ball mode>Will there be any fix until then, or will I have
17 to reinstall all my 32bit Gentoo systems with 64bit kernels?</crystal
18 ball mode>
19
20 Is there actually a "how-to" to replace a 32-bit-Gentoo by a 64-bit-
21 Gentoo? Do I have to format the harddisk (and rebuild everything from
22 scratch), oder can I just keep all the (postfix, apache...) configuration
23 in /etc, all my personal stuff in /usr/local and all the data in /var
24 and just install a 64-bit kernel in /boot? (Of course, with all its
25 dependencies like kernel modules and "system-near" binaries and all
26 that.)
27
28 -Matt