From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System.map not found - unable to check symbols
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 21:23:36
1 On Wed, 10 May 2006, Devon Miller wrote:
2
3 > This message is being issued by /sbin/module-update. It is called from
4 > /etc/init.d/modules to update /etc/modules.conf. It's complaining because
5 > /boot has not been mounted yet. As far as I can tell, /boot is treated no
6 > differently than any other non-root filesystem.
7 >
8 > Ultimately, I think, the fault lies in /sbin/rc which should be checking for
9 > /boot being a filesystem and mounting it up front.
10
11 Unless it has changed recently, the system I just installed last month
12 actually looks for it in /usr/src/linux, not /boot. It still complains
13 during boot even though I actually have one there, presumably it is looking
14 before filesystems are mounted.
15
16 I considered opening a bug, but it wasn't that important and I never really
17 got around to it.
18
19 A kludgy temporary fix would be:
20
21 # mount -o bind /dev/<rootdev> /mnt
22 # mkdir -p /mnt/usr/src/linux
23 # cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /mnt/usr/src/linux
24 # umount /mnt
25
26 8-/...
29 ----
30
31 # We also call depmod here to stop insmod from complaining that
32 modules.conf
33 # is more recent then modules.dep
34 #
35 if [ -d "`depdir`" -a -f /proc/modules ]
36 then
37 if [ -f /usr/src/linux/System.map ]; then
38 depmod -a -F /usr/src/linux/System.map ${KV}
39 else
40 ewarn "System.map not found - unable to check symbols"
41 fi
42 fi
43 ----
46 Paul B. Henson | (909) 979-6361 | http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
47 Operating Systems and Network Analyst | henson@×××××××××.edu
48 California State Polytechnic University | Pomona CA 91768
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list