From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Straight from the horse's mouth
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:22:19
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 07:26:15PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote
2 > Hi Walter, can you expand on the LVM2 problem you mention on the MDEV
3 > page and/or a link if there is one on the status?
4 >
5 > I am building a new desktop (finally building as 64bit!) which will need
6 > lvm2 and after trying gnome3 for a couple of months on my existing
7 > machines, I have decided that its too unstable, too much of a resource
8 > hog and such a major productivity killer so its time to abandon ship.
9
10 I personally use ICEWM. It does the job, and I get an autohiding
11 launchbar along the bottom. Thinking about this has inspired me to
12 change my sig. See below.
13
14 > If I have to swim, I would like to use the opportunity to drop udev so I
15 > can avoid that train wreck as well.
16
17 I've never used lvm so I'm the last person to ask. See
18 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Unionfs-linuxrc which mentions lvm2 under
19 mdev
20
21 Alpine Linux is a server-oriented distro that uses mdev instead of
22 udev. If anybody has gotten stuff running under mdev, it's them. See
23 http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_software_raid1_array for
24 some hints. The article looks a bit old, so I don't know if it'll work
25 for you now.
26
27 If you get it running, please let me know, and/or update the wiki.
28 I'm going on a little trip later this month, after I get back, I might
29 just set up a dedicated test machine with all sorts of stuff like lvm2
30 on it.
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications