From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 11:46:55
1 On 03/17/2012 12:40 PM, pk wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-17 19:38, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> you know, with that 'put everything into /usr' crap going on, I don't see any
4 >> reason to have a seperate /usr at all. /root is completely empty. So what? Put
5 >> everything on one partition and go on.
6 >
7 > Yes, let's do away with partitions altogether, who needs them?
8
9 When I was in school the (Winchester) disk drives were the size of
10 a hotel mini-bar and the, um, "diskettes" the size of a stack of
11 four or five large pizza boxes which had to be carried with both
12 hands.
13
14 I never asked how much these toys cost, but I'm guessing it would
15 be roughly a year's salary for most people. Now multiply that by
16 the number of partitions you need to mount simultaneously.
17
18 That was the reason for separate / and /usr back then -- the school
19 didn't want to buy multiple Winchesters when they could get the
20 sysadmin to swap multiple "diskettes" during bootup, and let the
21 student health service cover the cost of his hernia repair :p