From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java "bad version number" - what to up/downgrade?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:27:04
1 >> I'm getting the following from dumphd:
2 >>
3 >> "bad version number in .class file"
4 >>
5 >> I gather that I may have the wrong version of something Java installed
6 >> but I don't know how that works. Can anyone tell me what package I
7 >> should try upgrading or downgrading?
8 >
9 > This normally means the class file is from a new version of Java then the
10 > virtual machine trying to run it (i.e. class files compiled under Java 1.5,
11 > but your trying to run it in Java 1.4).
12 >
13 > "java-config -L" (without quotes) will show you what virtual machines you have
14 > installed. On my machine it shows (the asterisk is the currently selected
15 > one, i.e. what will be used to run java applications):
16 >
17 > podge@venus ~ $ java-config -L
18 > The following VMs are available for generation-2:
19 > 1) Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 [blackdown-jdk-1.4.2]
20 > 2) Sun JDK 1.5.0.16 [sun-jdk-1.5]
21 > *) Sun JDK 1.6.0.07 [sun-jdk-1.6]
22 > podge@venus ~ $
23 >
24 > If the newest VM isn't selected as the default, read the man page for
25 > java-config and tell it to set the newest one as default (1.6 is the newest
26 > version).
27 >
28 > Shawn
29
30 Thank you very much. Since I'm not a Java developer, do I want jre as
31 opposed to jdk?
32
33 - Grabt