From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Easily coping with a domain password
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:52:54
1 On 13 Oct 2008, at 23:21, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Should I be looking into winbind?
4 > Or configure kerberos to join the domain and have all my apps use
5 > that?
6 > Some ldap-proxy type setup?
7 >
8 > Pointers to howtos and opinions on what's worth the effort are all
9 > that I'm
10 > after today - I can read the details in the man pages myself once I
11 > have a
12 > known direction to follow. If my three ideas above sound stupid,
13 > that's
14 > because they probably are :-)
15
16 I don't think winbind is an answer - I use it myself on an IMAP
17 server, allowing the users to use the same password for their email as
18 they do for the domain, and I don't immediately see how it could be
19 configured to in some way behave in a manner which would alleviate
20 your problem.
21
22 The solution which seems most obvious to me is to reboot your laptop
23 when changing your domain password (or even just log out?), so that
24 all these services are no longer running in the background with the
25 old password saved. Also, you could perhaps ask your IT department to
26 change their security policy to reduce the number of occasions upon
27 which you need to inconvenience them; instead of 3 attempts locking
28 you out permanently and requiring a manual reset, if they locked you
29 out for only 5 minutes you would perhaps have time to realise there's
30 a problem and fix it.
31
32 IMO any client being denied access with a "bad password" type response
33 should STOP AND ASK for a corrected password, rather than persistently
34 trying with a user:pass it has been told to be invalid. Is it possible
35 your klient apps are somehow misconfigured? If not, perhaps you should
36 file upstream bugs.
37
38 Stroller.