From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 = spectre_v2 fixed
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:19:43
1 On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 12:20:51 GMT Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 31/01/18 14:04, Mick wrote:
3 > > Just to dilute my confusion on what I should do to keep desktops safe(r),
4 > > would someone please clarify:
5 > >
6 > > Is it necessary to keyword gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 and emerge kernel 4.15
7 > > with gcc 7.3, or wait until these versions have been stabilised in the
8 > > tree?
9 > >
10 > > What gcc version shall I use to update @world from then on?
11 > >
12 > > PS. Some desktops are Intel, some are AMD and I also have 3-4 devices with
13 > > ARM in them ...
14 >
15 > At the moment, you do need GCC 7.3. However, there is talk about these
16 > new flags being ported to GCC 6 and possibly even older versions.
17 >
18 > As for the kernel, you don't need 4.15. 4.14 is the latest LTS kernel,
19 > and it has the needed patches. I think 4.9 (the previous LTS kernel) has
20 > them too.
21
22 Kernel 4.14.15 has the latest patches, so I stayed with the 4.14 series.
25 > Currently, once you enable CONFIG_RETPOLINE in the kernel config and
26 > rebuild with GCC 7.3, you should have all currently available kernel
27 > mitigations. Which currently are:
28 >
29 > $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
30 > Mitigation: PTI
31 > Vulnerable
32 > Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
33
34 I'm good here:
35
36 $ dmesg | grep -i Spectre
37 [ 0.011822] Spectre V2 mitigation: Mitigation: Full generic retpoline
38
39 although this post indicates Skylake may still be vulnerable:
40
41 https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/4/724
42
43 Anyway, as I understand it, we'll have to wait for gcc-8.1 in March, which
44 utilises 'gcc -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern' to get the benefit of the
45 retpoline kernel patch.
48 > However, improvements to these mitigations will from now on happen for
49 > kernel 4.16 first and backported later. 4.16 for example got mitigations
50 > for ARM. It's how kernel upstream works; new stuff is done in the
51 > current development version, and backported later to still supported
52 > versions.
53
54 Spectre_v1 still shown as vulnerable on both Intel and AMD. Is there a fix
55 planned for this?
58 Regards,
59 Mick