From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 = spectre_v2 fixed
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 08:14:46
1 On 02/02/18 13:19, Mick wrote:
2 > Anyway, as I understand it, we'll have to wait for gcc-8.1 in March, which
3 > utilises 'gcc -mindirect-branch=thunk-extern' to get the benefit of the
4 > retpoline kernel patch.
5
6 No. You get that with GCC 7.3 already, which is in portage now.
9 >> However, improvements to these mitigations will from now on happen for
10 >> kernel 4.16 first and backported later. 4.16 for example got mitigations
11 >> for ARM. It's how kernel upstream works; new stuff is done in the
12 >> current development version, and backported later to still supported
13 >> versions.
14 >
15 > Spectre_v1 still shown as vulnerable on both Intel and AMD. Is there a fix
16 > planned for this?
17
18 I don't know, but it would be surprising if there wasn't.