From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sendmail configuration
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 05:02:07
1 On 11/25/20 9:02 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > O'Reilly's_Sendmail_ 4th Edition (the bat book), has 1312 pages and
3 > weighs four pounds.
4
5 There is actually a much smaller book than the quintessential Bat book
6 that is multiple orders of magnitude. IM(ns)HO the Sendmail
7 Installation and Operation Guide is well worth reading by anyone that
8 wants to be serious about administering sendmail. I have (re)read
9 (multiple versions of) it multiple times in my multi-decade fling with
10 Sendmail. Take part of an afternoon every few years and skim it and /
11 or read new / updated parts of it. It's usually with the sendmail
12 source code. But you can easily search the web for multiple copies of it.
13
14 I've read the SIOG multiple times cover-to-cover. I've never read more
15 than 20-30 pages of the Bat book at any given time.
16
17 Aside: I have a low opinion of many O'Reilly books when it comes to
18 learning something new. They are frequently the definitive reference,
19 second only to source code. But reference material is not the best way
20 to learn. Think man page vs tutorials.
25 Grant. . . .
26 unix || die