From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sendmail configuration
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 04:02:20
1 On 2020-11-26, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I've always used postifx but I want to try sendmail this time.
4
5 Appropos of nothing, might we ask why? I've heard there are things
6 that you can do with sendmail that you can't do with postfix or exim
7 or qmail, but the descriptions of what sorts of "things" would require
8 sendmail were rarely intelligible to a mere mortal.
9
10 > And I have a hard time finding gentoo howto.
11
12 Back when we used to sendmail on SunOS in the early 90's the generally
13 accepted approach was to copy somebody else's config file that almost
14 worked, change things more or less at random and then watch the disks
15 fill up and the network crash. The miraculous part was that the disk
16 would fill up but all the mail would disappear.
17
18 I think sendmail configuration was where "cargo cult" programming
19 originated.
20
21 From "The Unix-Hater's Handbook"
22
23 Sendmail: The Vietnam of Berkeley Unix
24
25 Sendmail is the standard Unix mailer, and it is likely to remain
26 the standard Unix mailer for many, many years. Although other
27 mailers (such as MMDF and smail) have been written, none of them
28 simultaneously enjoy sendmail’s popularity or widespread animosity.
29
30 O'Reilly's _Sendmail_ 4th Edition (the bat book), has 1312 pages and
31 weighs four pounds.
32
33 Head up the river if you must, but don't get out of the boat.
36 Grant