From: Bhaskar Chowdhury <unixbhaskar@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sendmail configuration
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 04:26:08
1 On 04:02 Thu 26 Nov 2020, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 >On 2020-11-26, thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've always used postifx but I want to try sendmail this time.
5 >
6 >Appropos of nothing, might we ask why? I've heard there are things
7 >that you can do with sendmail that you can't do with postfix or exim
8 >or qmail, but the descriptions of what sorts of "things" would require
9 >sendmail were rarely intelligible to a mere mortal.
10 >
11 >> And I have a hard time finding gentoo howto.
12 >
13 >Back when we used to sendmail on SunOS in the early 90's the generally
14 >accepted approach was to copy somebody else's config file that almost
15 >worked, change things more or less at random and then watch the disks
16 >fill up and the network crash. The miraculous part was that the disk
17 >would fill up but all the mail would disappear.
18 >
19 >I think sendmail configuration was where "cargo cult" programming
20 >originated.
21 >
22 >From "The Unix-Hater's Handbook"
23 >
24 > Sendmail: The Vietnam of Berkeley Unix
25 >
26 > Sendmail is the standard Unix mailer, and it is likely to remain
27 > the standard Unix mailer for many, many years. Although other
28 > mailers (such as MMDF and smail) have been written, none of them
29 > simultaneously enjoy sendmail’s popularity or widespread animosity.
30 >
31 >O'Reilly's _Sendmail_ 4th Edition (the bat book), has 1312 pages and
32 >weighs four pounds.
33 >
34 >Head up the river if you must, but don't get out of the boat.
35 >
36 >--
37 >Grant
38 >
39 On the lighter side, it famously known that , if you poke at sendmail conf
40 more than once, then you are effected by the paranoia and which is not good
41 for you and others around you.
42
43 :)
44