From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo mail server
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:36:09
1 James wrote:
2 >> It's fully virtual, supports smtp and imap over ssl, sasl, skipped TLS,
3 >> and easy to manage. I do not recommend the Gentoo Virtual How-to, it's
4 >> ancient and silly.
5 >
6 > Is this the page your refer to?
7 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
8
9 Yep and the things I don't like are:
10
11 1. password stored in clear text
12 2. complicated use of pam_mysql rather than using sasl's DBD layer directly
13 3. No admin interface
14 4. Have to edit /etc/postfix/main.cf to add domains rather than rely on
15 the database lookup.
16 5. Lack of useful troubleshooting section
17
18 >> I used to have a how-to on gentoo-wiki which I need to recreate. Maybe
19 >> this weekend.
20 >
21 > Very cool.
22 >
23 >> In regards to stability... don't update right away. When Postfix 2.6
24 >> comes out, give it a month. Or play with it in a virtual server. Same
25 >> with Mysql 5.1. Or whatever. I've run three separate companies on Gentoo
26 >> and never had much of an issue though I always had a test/stage/qa
27 >> environment of some sort. Also keep an eye on the forums and this mail
28 >> list. That'll usually give you a heads up when an update isn't quite right.
31 > Well all of this is great news. I've pretty much decided to build
32 > a postgtres mail server, mostly like what you have outlined.. I'm likely
33 > to set up a second, duplicate machine for testing.
34
35 I've never done it with Postgres, but I know PostfixAdmin supports it so
36 it shouldn't be too hard. I think Steveb had it working at somepoint.
39 > Do you use a regular gentoo kernel, hardened setup, or what packages to
40 > keep the mail server tightly secure?
41
42 I generally found that keeping Webapps and users off you mail server was
43 good enough security. Also when building most of this stuff years ago
44 the hardened kernels were a bit painful. Probably much easier now.
45
46 kashani