From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo mail server
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:26:47
1 kashani <kashani-list <at> badapple.net> writes:
4 > I've been running a Gentoo mail server for either work or personal use
5 > and usually both since 2001. No real problems, but you do have to watch
6 > some updates especially sasl and courier.
7
8 OK.
9
10 > My current system is
11 > Postfix-2.5 At minimum I'd use Postfix-2.2 which has the better syntax
12 > for your virtual statements.
13 > Postgrey for greylisting, had some issues with sqlgrey.
14 > PostfixAdmin, because using phpmyadmin to manage your accounts and
15 > domains is futile. I'm still on 2.1 and need to check out the newer
16 > version. Requires PHP and a webserver.
17 > courier-imap and cyrus-sasl. Thinking about moving to Dovecot since you
18 > can use dovecot-sasl with Postfix under Gentoo.
19 > Mysql5
20
21 > It's fully virtual, supports smtp and imap over ssl, sasl, skipped TLS,
22 > and easy to manage. I do not recommend the Gentoo Virtual How-to, it's
23 > ancient and silly.
24
25 Is this the page your refer to?
26 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
27
28 > I used to have a how-to on gentoo-wiki which I need to recreate. Maybe
29 > this weekend.
30
31 Very cool.
32
33 > In regards to stability... don't update right away. When Postfix 2.6
34 > comes out, give it a month. Or play with it in a virtual server. Same
35 > with Mysql 5.1. Or whatever. I've run three separate companies on Gentoo
36 > and never had much of an issue though I always had a test/stage/qa
37 > environment of some sort. Also keep an eye on the forums and this mail
38 > list. That'll usually give you a heads up when an update isn't quite right.
41 Well all of this is great news. I've pretty much decided to build
42 a postgtres mail server, mostly like what you have outlined.. I'm likely
43 to set up a second, duplicate machine for testing.
46 Drop a line to the list, when you have your wiki page up and I'll follow
47 it and make some notes on the process of settting up a postfix mail server
48 on gentoo.Maybe you could fix up this wiki?(or build another?):
49 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Postfix
50
51 Do you use a regular gentoo kernel, hardened setup, or what packages to
52 keep the mail server tightly secure?
55 excellent notes!
56
57 James