From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Add in cards?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:49:45
1 On Sunday 05 December 2004 16:54, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > > Drivers have also been in all stock kernels for *years*.
3 > > Never had to look to Promise for drivers for their cards, so don't know
4 > > if they have written their own.
5 >
6 > that is nice to know. hm but their raid-drivers are closed, aren't they?
7
8 Screw their RAID stuff.
9 I'd be very suprised if it isn't some half-assed hardware/software
10 winmodem-esq setup anyway.
11 Full software RAID is a perfectly good, if not better, solution. We do crummy
12 twin IDE "server appliances" here, which software RAID1 all partitions,
13 even /boot (with a little grub trickery if hda fails it'll still boot).
16 Mike Williams