From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Capture dmesg output on boot?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 23:28:05
1 On Mon, 11 May 2009 17:20:10 -0700
2 James Ausmus wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hello list,
8 > >
9 > > I've been trying to get to the bottom of my recent troubles with my
10 > > IDE controller working with the 2.6.28 kernel. Now, linux never
11 > > boots without a kernel panic, so dmesg never gets logged... Is
12 > > there any way to have the kernel dump the boot log somewhere? I'd
13 > > settle for scrolling up, really.
16 > If you have a serial port, you can enable serial console in the kernel
17 > config, and boot with a "console=ttyS0" kernel parameter, to see all
18 > the output on a serially attached (via null modem cable or adapter)
19 > computer...
20 >
21 > -James
22
23 An alternative to the serial port is your ethernet connection. The
24 kernel can output to ethernet and you can capture the info using
25 netconsole.