From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc? [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:39:54
1 n952162 wrote:
2 > I'm not seeing how doing an fsck from a live cd helps.
5 Generally speaking, something ends up being mounted rw and if it isn't
6 clean, that can cause issues that may have been fixable before to become
7 issues that are no longer fixable.  This is why a lot of people put a
8 rescue system in /boot and add it to their boot loader menu.  Sadly, my
9 /boot partition isn't large enough or I'd do that as well.  If you have
10 data you don't want to lose and no backups or only older backups, you
11 don't want to do anything that involves risk.  Booting something else
12 and fixing file system errors is the safest way.
13
14 The bad thing about this, you won't know how serious it is until you do
15 something the wrong way.  It's like me the other day.  I'm susceptible
16 to catching infections.  My neighbor has the sniffles and is prone to
17 sinus infections.  I went for a visit without realizing it could be
18 contagious.  He ended up going to the Doctor and finding out he has
19 strep.  Now I'm sitting here watching for symptoms and at the ready to
20 go to the Doctor at the first sign.  Looking back, I should have waited
21 until he was no longer sick.  The other thing is, I can't turn the clock
22 back.  I've been exposed to something I can catch now.  I need to
23 remember that when he has the sniffles, treat it as a worst case
24 scenario until I know it isn't.  If you do the wrong thing with a file
25 system, you will learn about it after it is irreparable if not careful.
26 Treat it as bad and you are less likely to do damage.  Treat it as if it
27 isn't and you could lose data if it ends up having a problem that must
28 be fixed first.  It's about trying to limit the risk.
29
30 Dale
31