From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia+Xorg not allowing DRI.
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:32:34
1 Andrew Frink wrote:
4 > On 7/14/06, *Korthrun* <korthrun@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:korthrun@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Heyyas,
8 >
9 > I'm running:
10 > Xorg 7.0-r1
11 > nvidia-kernel 1.0.8762
12 > nvidia-glx 1.0.8762
13 >
14 > I've followed the guide at
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
16 > <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml> with the following
17 > exceptions. I'm using a kernel.org <http://kernel.org> kernel not
18 > a portage kernel, and I
19 > didn't make the "changes" regarding framebuffers because I don't
20 > intend to use one.That whole bit is disabled in my kernel.
21 >
22 > X starts up fine and looks great, I get decent FPS from glxgears.
23 > While following the above guide I get to this point "Code Listing
24 > 2.19: Checking the direct rendering status" and end up with this:
25 >
26 > glxinfo | grep direct
27 > Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
28 > direct rendering: No
29 >
30 > My Xorg.conf follows:
31 > ######Start xorg.conf
32 > Section "ServerLayout"
33 > Identifier "X.org <http://X.org> Configured"
34 > Screen 0 "Screen[0]" 0 0
35 > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
36 > InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
37 > EndSection
38 >
39 > Section "Files"
40 > RgbPath "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
41 > ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
42 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
43 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
44 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
45 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
46 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
47 > EndSection
48 >
49 > Section "Module"
50 > Load "glx"
51 > Load "extmod"
52 > Load "xtrap"
53 > Load "record"
54 > Load "dbe"
55 > # Load "dri"
56 > Load "freetype"
57 > Load "type1"
58 > EndSection
59 >
60 > Section "InputDevice"
61 > Identifier "Keyboard0"
62 > Driver "kbd"
63 > EndSection
64 >
65 > Section "InputDevice"
66 > Identifier "Mouse0"
67 > Driver "mouse"
68 > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
69 > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
70 > Option "Buttons" "7"
71 > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
72 > EndSection
73 >
74 > Section "Monitor"
75 > Identifier "Monitor[0]"
76 > Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
77 > Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
78 > Option "DPMS" "true"
79 > HorizSync 30-70
80 > VertRefresh 50-180
81 > EndSection
82 >
83 > Section "Device"
84 > Identifier "Device[0]"
85 > Driver "nvidia"
86 > EndSection
87 >
88 > Section "Screen"
89 > Identifier "Screen[0]"
90 > Device "Device[0]"
91 > Monitor "Monitor[0]"
92 > DefaultDepth 24
93 > SubSection "Display"
94 > Viewport 0 0
95 > Depth 24
96 > Modes "1280x1024"
97 > EndSubSection
98 > EndSection
99 >
100 > Section "DRI"
101 > Group "video"
102 > Mode 0660
103 > EndSection
104 >
105 > ######End xorg.conf
106 >
107 > I've tried it both with and without this last stanza regarding
108 > DRI. I tossed it in there for giggles since I needed it with my ATI
109 > card. One thing I haven't ventured to yet is recompilin xorg. When I
110 > compiled it I did have VIDEO_CARDS set to radeon. Will this effect
111 > xorg working with nvidia cards? What would the proper VIDEO_CARDS
112 > setting be for a geforce 6800?
113 >
114 > Any suggestions/comments are very welcome. Thanks muchly.,
115 >
116 > Korf
117 > --
118 > () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
119 > /\ vCards, and proprietary formats.
120 > --
121 > gentoo-user@g.o <mailto:gentoo-user@g.o> mailing list
122 >
123 > It may have i would sujest trying with VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" and see..
124 > i'm not sure i haven't moved my box with an nvidia to xorg7
125 > cynyr
126
127 I ran into the same thing. I ended up doing a emerge -ev world to fix
128 mine. I just had someone else on the forums to do the same thing and it
129 worked for them as well.
130
131 It's a pain but it worked for me and the other person. I personally
132 think it is something KDE but not kdelibs or the nvidia drivers. I had
133 re-emerged them before a few times with no help.
134
135 Maybe someone has a better idea.
136
137 Dale