From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:18:05
1 On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:58:22 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 December 2004 20:25, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:57:15 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > > > On Monday 06 December 2004 19:23, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
5 > > > > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:47:43 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
8 > OK. done that, but first the 'emerge world' proved to be quite a bit longer
9 > than I expected as it included X and mozilla amongst others.
10 > I believe my poor old pentium3 500 is still pounding on it, hehe.
11 > So things take way longer than expected (no hurry though).
12 > Does this like happen every other week, having one or the other 'major'
13 > ebuilds renewed ? I mean of the size of X, or Kde, or OOo, glibc and alike ?
14 > I'm beginning to believe my pentium3 is severely underpowered here... ;)
15 >
16 That depends on how often you update. If you do it once a week
17 probably not. But i'm one of those stupid people who like to update
18 once per day. Altough my servers don't see a lot of compile time on
19 stable and at most once per week.
20
21 > What is your opinion on the udev vs ... choice ?
22 Personnally udev is the way to go, most of the troubles of the early
23 days are gone if not all. Never had any troubles with and as a bonus
24 you can reserve some blocks to some device like if you like your usb
25 key to always be /dev/sda. It's pretty flexible, useful, it's not
26 deprecated and it's maintained.
27
28 > Which is best when handling lots of hotpluggable devices (usb-storage etc) or
29 > is there no real difference there ?
30 Hotplug + coldplug (hotplugging at boot)
31
32 > What happens if I need to boot a 2.4
33 > kernel, will the missing and/or incompatible /dev structure not bite me ?
34 >
35 Well, now that modules-init-tools support both kernel series there's
36 only one thing stopping you : devfsd vs udev :). But there's hope !
37
38 Don't know what are the settings available on the stable baselayout
39 but here's an interesting snippet of my /etc/conf.d/rc :
40
41 # Use this variable to control the /dev management behavior.
42 # auto - let the scripts figure out what's best at boot
43 # devfs - use devfs (requires sys-fs/devfsd)
44 # udev - use udev (requires sys-fs/udev)
45 # static - let the user manage static nodes
46
47 RC_DEVICES="auto"
48
49 So in a resume you can run a 2.4 kernel with devfsd and it will be
50 detected and used. Since udev is a userland program, a 2.4 kernel will
51 not be bothered with it. That's in theory, I don't know if devfsd and
52 udev will block each other in portage. If not well run devfsd only
53 until you switch completly to 2.6.
54
55 > 8-)
56 > Go right ahead. I should be quite fluent in linux now, just the gentoo part
57 > is new. But I've used old slackware, redhat, suse & debian (in that order)
58 > So feel free to skip the basics. The USE flags and some of the paths of config
59 > structures daunt me for now but that's basically it. And I want to learn
60 > gentoo the *right* way, not the easy-but-you-will-regret-that-later way.
61 >
62 That's the spirit ! Browse the documentation & tips and trick section
63 of the forum. It's so juicy with goodies it's unbelievable. Anyway
64 will all of the doc available, it's pretty to figure it out ;).
65
66 > Lol indeed; I fully agree. Lilo caused me no end of trouble, and quite
67 > recently even cost me over 2 days work with 480 GB raid5 data at stake, more
68 > or less. Well, long story, I'll not bore you with it but suffice to say that
69 > some new SATA boards' drive mapping will wreak havoc on how lilo will see
70 > drives (let alone BOOT from any of them). I've seen more L99 99 99 99 and L00
71 > 00 00 00 errors than I really care to remember. Lilo is dead for me now.
72 > I'll never touch it again. (Well, after the legacy systems have gone...)
73 >
74 All I can say is that I understand you better than you could know
75 (damn I hate redhat ... oops sorry OT ... must control rage ...)
76
77 > Hey, I already like this list, feels right at home :-))
78 > Thanks for the welcome!
79 >
80 > Now to get 2.6 + kismet + gpsd running and I'm truely happy.
81 > All the rest seems to work fine already.
82 >
83 > Maarten
84 >
85 No problem !